Kitty Pryde Responds to Havok’s ‘M-Word’ Speech

Kitty "I am Jewish. I am a mutant."Kitty Pryde has a long history of drawing parallels between the plights of mutants and those of real life people of color (see X-Men: God Loves, Man Kill and New Mutants #45).

That’s why I was excited to see her speak up in All-New X-Men #13 to so masterfully address Havok’s infamous M-Word Speech. The monologue comes courtesy of Brian Michael Bendis and I can’t help but interpret it and its lack of counterpoint as explicit commentary directed to Rick Remender. Either way, it’s a great monologue and an even better point.

Check out Kitty’s smack down below.

Kitty Pryde responds to Havok's M-Word Speech

Advertisements

13 Responses to “Kitty Pryde Responds to Havok’s ‘M-Word’ Speech”

1. 1 craftyacuity July 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Uh…JEWISH. So a blond white mutant wishes he was just considered as a blond white person. And a Jewish girl who doesn’t have any jewish features or name is saying she wishes more people knew she was a mutant jew. Still better than being black LOL. I bet you if storm gave the speech it would have been about 2 minutes long. “I choose to be a mutant over being black. I was a goddess as a black woman. but now……mmmmfff….please excuse me.”

• 2 juannavarro July 10, 2013 at 8:15 am

haha I agree to a certain degree. I mena if she was to LOOK jewish, what does that mean? It’s like saying Storm doesn’t LOOK black? I’m a latino and we don’t get ANYBODY but Sunspot, and that guy is a repentent hispanic the way they write him, so…..

• 3 craftyacuity July 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

That’s kinda why I like DC a little better. I have a student who is Jewish but looks white. He’s just like “No I don’t tell anyone….I don’t want to be treated differently.” So Kitty….once you have that star of david necklace flowing in the breeze, we will talk :P

• 4 Strejda August 7, 2013 at 5:06 am

I really don’t get your point. She is saying, that people should accept who she is, not ignore it.

• 5 craftyacuity August 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Hmm. She is right…..I am attacking her character. She said what she said in some dark room somewhere. Not on TV like Havok. ALSO no one cares that she is jewish except white people. I am quite sure that the dude that she was crushing on was NOT mexican, black, or asian. Wanting to date white people without the hassle doesn’t make her a pioneer. I don’t follow kitty though. Maybe she has dated some actual minorities. That would be much easier than getting all mad.

• 6 Daniel Amrhein August 9, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I don’t really think that the race or ethnicity of Kitty’s romantic interest has any bearing on the conversation. Sadly, antisemitism is alive and well. In 2012, 62.5% of all religious hate crimes in the US were committed against Jewish people (http://www.shfwire.com/anti-islamic-hate-crime-rate-differs-greatly-among-states). I mean, there are STILL people who deny that the Holocaust happened. Jewish people are most definitely an “actual minority.”

• 7 craftyacuity August 11, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Well I get confused at that point. Because I don’t know if people hate Jews because of racial stereotypes or because of religious stereotypes. Kitty seems to have been complaining about race with this boy. And are you talking about a minority in the world or in the united states?

• 8 juannavarro August 11, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I think the problem is that many of these character are not what they “are” until it’s convenient. I mean, we didn’t hear about Kitty’s culture FOR YEARS until now? Thhhhbt.

• 9 juannavarro August 12, 2013 at 12:01 am

Oh and I find the the idea of comparing race to species and/or race kind of ridiculous. Race has no real play other than categorization, hence the ignorance of being a bigot is based on nothing. Not liking a group because they can read your mind, or blast a whole through you at will, well is that really that unfeasible?

• 11 Daniel Amrhein September 13, 2013 at 9:23 pm

To be fair, Chirs Claremont firmly established Kitty’s race decades ago. I think Bendis is bringing it up again because he’s also Jewish but doesn’t have a “Jewish sounding name” and doesn’t “look or sound Jewish, whatever that looks or sounds like,” so he’s better able to voice the character and bring her ethnicity to the forefront.

2. 12 juannavarro July 10, 2013 at 8:13 am

See these are the few things that keep me reading Marvel, this back and forth, this idea of working both sides of an idea in two different books, this reflection of issues of race, but here, Species, brings a voice to things, and gives purpose later when a fastball special happens. THis scene reminds me of the n-word incident with Kitty in God Loves, Man Kills and sort of helps bring the whole X-franchise back to what it’s about…

1. 1 Opinion: Iceman's Coming Out Has Some Marvel Fans Feeling a Bit Bifurious - The Rainbow Hub Trackback on April 22, 2015 at 2:03 pm